I finally got my brother over to do some welding for me. The electric scooter is only a couple of nuts and bolts away from a complete frame. I have the core electronics finished .. so maybe this weekend I’ll be able to take it for my first test drive… I can tell I’ll need to extend my handle bar.. but that can wait for another day.
The frame I build out of over priced metal stock from Home Depot.. (most of it is under the vehicle in the above photo) .. the front end is from a kid’s bike.. The motor and drive have already checked out.. don’t know what kind of speed I’ll get out of it, I doubt over 15mph or so.
I also scored another VFD today. It’s another Rockwell Automation VTAC9 but this one is much smaller and very bench-friendly. I have about 280VDC on the bus and I got it power up into precharge (kicks on at about 250VDC). I have another 90VDC in batteries and I thought another case (so 180V.).. I hope that’s enough to get me out of precharge or I’ll have to build a high voltage DC power supply. meh. I couldn’t finish my testing because my brother has shown up for the welding.
It’s front end (AC input) is dead but it looks like I can chop some jumpers to disconnect it. Though I had it hooked up when I ran up the DC input. I was running about 50 mA with the fans and UI running. If you have one with no wires attached .. mine starts up with Terminal 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 jumpered and Terminal 8 and 9 jumpered. This base doesn’t have a “DC -” terminal like the large drive has.. so you can either tie it to the big DC bus jumpers off the capacitor board or there is a DC+ terminal and the DC- is a little single test point pin to the right of the terminals. If I have enough VDC in this house maybe I’ll be spinning a motor by the end of the week. I reprogrammed the drive already… it’s pretty self-explanatory.
Update: 402 VDC… still in pre-charge. I have a 150VDC power supply I’ll did out. I’m hoping 550V will do the trick.. 600VDC is nominal.